June 13th, 2018

Wire v Trinity: Top 5 clashes


Ahead of Sunday’s game against Wakefield Trinity, take a look back at five of the best clashes between the sides in recent years.

Warrington 22-20 Wakefield, Round 11, 2017

Warrington staged a brilliant second-half comeback to beat Wakefield in one of the most thrilling games of the 2017 Super League season.

Ashley Gibson put Trinity ahead on eight minutes after collecting Kyle Wood’s kick through to cross.

Two minutes later Trinity were in again as Jacob Miller broke the Warrington line before finding Mason Caton-Brown on his outside to score.

Ryan Atkins then scored one of the Wire’s tries of the season 12 minutes later after breaking out wide before racing 80 metres to score Warrington’s first try of the afternoon.

Wakefield extended their lead after the interval, with Miller’s looping pass finding Tom Johnstone who made it 20-6 to the visitors.

Ten minutes later Chris Hill powered his way underneath the sticks and when Kevin Brown collected Brad Dwyer’s pass to go over on 69 minutes, the deficit was reduced to just two points.

With two minutes remaining the comeback was complete as Tom Lineham collected Stefan Ratchford’s looping ball out to the wing before crossing in the corner.

Wakefield 21-22 Warrington, Round 7, 2006

Warrington overturned a 21-0 half time deficit to win a thrilling game at Belle Vue back in 2006.

Jamie Rooney was instrumental for Wakefield in the opening 40 minutes, scoring 17 points including two tries and a drop-goal.

Whatever head coach Paul Cullen said to the Wire players at the interval clearly had an effect as Warrington were a different team in the second half.

Chris Bridge began to control the game for the visitors and set up a try for Jon Clarke five minutes after the restart.

Tries from Bridge and Logan Swann then brought Warrington firmly back into the contest.

With eight minutes remaining Bridge then collected Lee Briers’ grubber kick to score and held his nerve with the conversion to put Warrington in front and claim a famous comeback victory.

Warrington 34-24 Wakefield, Round 7, 2018

A hat-trick from Tom Lineham helped Warrington to a thrilling win over Wakefield when the sides met at The Halliwell Jones Stadium earlier this season.

Steve Price’s side were ahead inside two minutes when Lineham received Stefan Ratchford’s looping pass out wide to cross in the corner.

Reece Lyne responded for Wakefield but Lineham added his second shortly after to give Warrington a 12-4 advantage.

Trinity hit back with two tries in three minutes as Bill Tupou and Liam Finn crossed to give the visitors a 14-12 lead at the break.

Warrington were back in front from the restart however following a length of the field move instigated by Sitaleki Akauola’s bulldozing 40 metre break. Ratchford’s deft pass to Bryson Goodwin saw the centre cross.

Tries from Mike Cooper and Ben Murdoch-Masila’s brilliant 40 metre effort extended the Wire’s lead before Trinity hit back through Tom Johnstone out wide.

Lineham then completed his hat-trick on 77 minutes with a length of the field try to secure the two points for Warrington.

Warrington 34-16 Wakefield, Round 3, 2016

Warrington continued their unbeaten start to the 2016 season when the sides met two years ago at The HJ.

The Wolves were ahead after just 80 seconds when Ben Currie picked up a loose ball to race 80 metres and cross.

The Wire then doubled their lead through Kevin Penny’s effort before Trinity hit back through Craig Hall’s try.

Warrington rallied before the break however as Kurt Gidley collected Chris Sandow’s short pass to score his first try for the club before Sandow collected his own neat chip over the Wakefield line to cross.

Bill Tupou scored the first try after the interval for the visitors before Sandow crossed for his second of the night.

Currie then gathered Gidley’s grubber kick under the sticks to score his second try.

Jon Molloy added a consolation score late on but the two points belonged to Warrington.

Warrington 80-0 Wakefield, Round 10, 2015

Warrington ran in 14 tries to inflict their biggest winning margin over Wakefield in 2015 in what was a clinical display at The Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Gene Ormsby opened the scoring for the Wire early on before linking up with Toby King to send the centre over for the second score of the game.

Richie Myler’s grubber kick then rebounded off the post with Daryl Clark quickest to pounce and extend the home side’s advantage.

The Wolves were further ahead moments later when Chris Bridge broke the line before finding Myler on his inside who ran 60 metres to score.

Ashton Sims then ensured the Wire went in at the break with a 30-0 lead before Ormsby intercepted a pass after the interval to score his second of the afternoon.

The Wire were running rampant as further tries followed from Stefan Ratchford, Ben Westwood and Joel Monaghan.

King then crossed for his second of the game before two further tries from Myler saw the scrum-half complete his hat-trick.

A brace from Ben Currie late on completed the scoring and condemned Trinity to their eighth consecutive defeat.

Tickets for Sunday’s trip to Wakefield are still available from the official club store, by calling 01925 248888 or online.

Coach travel is also available with discount for full season members.

One Energy
Halliwell Jones
My Protein oneills Total Steel University of Chester ResultingIt
Wirehouse Boutique Hotel Group Warrigton Fabrications Muse Developments Our League