March 16th, 2016

U16s Keep Wildcats to Nil


By Steve Phillips

The u16s team travelled to Wakefield for their first away trip of the season, with another strong all-round performance. The team continued in the same vein as their home match in achieving a second shutout in a row.

First Half

The first nine minutes were nip and tuck with both teams going close to scoring. However, it was a drop-goal on ten minutes from Fynn Stanley that got things moving when directly in front of the posts. Wakefield applied the pressure to strike back, but they couldn’t find their way through the Wolves’ defence and as the minutes ticked past, Warrington started to gain in confidence.

Ore-Ofe Animashaun score his first try for the scholarship on 17 minutes; following an attacking scrum, Brad Holdroyd went close but was held up just short, Animashaun then drove over from dummy-half. The conversion was missed, so the score remained at 0-5.

A strong drive up the middle from Jacob Chamberlain put Warrington on the attack; the ball went right with Tayler Brown breaking through the Wakefield defence, off loading to Frazer Stanier to also score his first try. Another missed conversion, but Wolves were now 0-9 up after 22 minutes. A few minutes later it was Patrick Anglin’s turn. Further pressure down that right side again; with Wolves keeping the ball live through Chamberlain, onto Anglin and then onto Brown. Just as it looked like the defence would stop their man, Brown offloaded and Anglin stepped the fullback and touched down one-handed to score the first of his two tries. Stanley was successful with the kick so after 25 minutes Warrington had pulled away into a 0-15 lead.

One more score before halftime went to Wolves’ fullback Holdroyd. More hard running by Chamberlain and Brown again caused the defence to retreat. Good interplay between the halves kept the ball alive. Stanley headed for the posts, drawing the defence; spinning in the tackle he off loaded to Holdroyd who was backing up to crash over just by the posts. Stanley had no problems with the conversion leaving it at 0-21 when the halftime whistle sounded.

Second Half

It only took two minutes of the second-half for the Wolves to register their next score; a penalty to Warrington put them in a great attacking position 30 metres out. Another strong run by Brown took him to a few metres from the line and from the dummy-half pass; Matthew Heritage hit the line at speed and wasn’t going to be stopped. Stanley kicked the goal pushing the score now to 0-27.

Wakefield then enjoyed their best period of the game. A number of repeat sets and penalties saw them camped on the Warrington line, however they couldn’t find the final pass or just ran into stern Wolves’ defence.

It was 30 minutes into the second-half before Warrington scored again; Wakefield were caught off-side and the Wolved kicked for touch putting them again on the attack. Tyler Lancaster took the first drive in and was able to get a quick play-the-ball. While the defence was still retreating Jack Wilson took the ball at speed from the Leonard, stepped the first man to make himself some space and drive for the line with the full-back unable to stop him. Stanley converted Wilson’s first try for the scholarship and with only five minutes to go, Warrington were leading 0-33.

The final score came a few seconds before the whistle. A scrum on the halfway line saw the Wolves attacking down their left side; strong runs from Liam Jones and George Whitham had the Wakefield defence on the back foot. A second drive from Jones to within a few metres of the line, gave Anglin the space he needed to dummy his way over from the play-the-ball. Warrington weren’t able to add the extras with the final whistle sounding a few seconds later to see them claim a strong 0-37 victory.


Head coach Gary Chambers made these comments following the game: “We were pleased with the maturity we showed this week. Our control and completion was better. Our defensive numbers and push were also up on last week. I think it was these areas that saw us home. We have set some standards now and as coaches we don’t need to move away from what we’ve been doing but try to make them even better. We were really happy with the defensive attitude and how they wanted to get forward and make strong tackles. Still plenty to work on but a solid start.”


Clayton Lynch, Kian Morgan, Colby Colthorpe, Tom Ashen, Jacak Dykes, Owen Hughes, Josh Pinder, Yusuf Aydin, Cameron Lees, Charlie Frost, James Szuluk, Tom Murphy, Joe Summers

Subs: Robert Jowett, Cieran Lewis, Tom Markland, Todd Bethell, Ben Markland, Connor Bailey, Lewis Teale


Brad Holroyd, Ore-Ofe Animashaun, George Whitham, Frazer Stanier, Liam Jones, Fynn Stanley, Dec Leonard, Jack Wilson, Patrick Anglin, Sean Halpin, Tayler Brown, Tyler Lancaster, Corey Newsham

Subs: Lewis Hall, Harvey Massey, Andrew Badrock, Matthew Heritage, Jacob Chamberlain, Callum Turner

Tries: Holdroyd, Animashaun, Stanier, Wilson, Anglin (2), Heritage

Goals: Stanley (4 from 6), Jone (0 from 1)

Drop Goals: Stanley

Halliwell Jones
My Protein oneills Total Steel University of Chester ResultingIt EPG Services
Wirehouse Boutique Hotel Group Warrigton Fabrications Muse Developments C4 Construction Sports 360 Our League