June 10th, 2019

Narrow defeat for Wire U19s


By Dave Whalley

Warrington Wolves Under 19s suffered a narrow defeat when they went down to Wakefield Trinity in a hard-fought Under 19s academy game at The Mobile Rocket Stadium, Belle Vue, on Saturday afternoon.

After an even opening, with both sides testing each other out, it was Wakefield who took the lead on 17 minutes when pressure on the Wire line paid off; prop forward Jacob Jones forced his way over at the side of the posts. Scrum half Connor Bailey converted but six minutes later the Wire replied when hooker Padraig Anglin-Sheedy found substitute Eribe Doro on the last tackle and he powered over under the posts with three defenders on him. Loose forward Jacob Gannon added the conversion.

Just before the half-hour mark an error from a scrum on the first tackle from the Wire gave Wakefield possession, a penalty then put them close to the try line and prop forward Moris Kamano used his strength to score at the left of the posts. Bailey converted but three minutes before the break a smart kick down field by Wire substitute Jamie Abram saw second row Ellis Longstaff chase well and force an error. After a couple of drives Longstaff kept the ball alive and found winger Reece Hamlett who broke a tackle to score a debut try on the right. Stand off David Gibbons added the conversion to make the interval score 12-12.

Fourteen minutes into the second half Trinity went back in front when a penalty put them in a great position and, after being held up over the line, a quick play the ball saw second row James Patrickson score at the side of the posts. Bailey converted and straight from the restart Bailey made a fine break down the left, passed onto winger Nico Devittoris who raced away to score at the side of the posts. Bailey once again added the conversion.

The Wire refused to lie down and hit back promptly when prop forward Jacob Chamberlain was held just short; from a quick play the ball Abram went from dummy half and forced his way over at the side of the posts. Seven minutes later a deep kick from Abram saw Longstaff, centre Liam Brinksman and Hamlett put pressure on the Wakefield defender and as the ball was dropped Longstaff pounced to score wide out on the right to reduce the deficit to four points. Despite having late chances they were unable to cross the line and Trinity held on for a hard fought 24-20 win.


Bobby Darbyshire, Calum Hudson, Oliver Hill, Oliver Farrar, Nico Devittoris, Owen Hughes, Connor Bailey, Jacob Jones, Lewis Teale, Moris Kamano, Harry Dodd, James Patrickson, Yusuf Aydin.

Subs:    Daniel Barcoe, Jordan Schofield, Dane Windrow, Ryan Snowden.

Tries: Jones (17 mins), Kamano (29), Patrickson (54), Devittoris (56).

Goals: Bailey (4)


Joe Kohe-Love, Reece Hamlett, Liam Brinksman, Cole Oakley, Aaron Pimblett, David Gibbons, Joe Barnes, Jack Wright, Padraig Anglin-Sheedy, Jacob Chamberlain, Ellis Longstaff, Connor Wrench, Jacob Gannon.

Subs:    Jamie Abram, Karlton Bates, Tayler Brown, Eribe Doro.

Tries: Doro (23 mins), Hamlett (37), Abram (59), Longstaff (66).

Goals: Gannon, Gibbons

Academy Head Coach Paul Anderson

“We were really disappointed not to get anything out of the game as I felt we had enough chances but we have to take advantage of the opportunities we create. It is another learning curve for us, one that we will benefit from as a collective and as individuals in the long term. Overall I am really disappointed in our inconsistencies, not only within games but also with our attention to detail away from the field. We don’t have a game next weekend due to the final academy origin fixture and will be next in action a week on Saturday when we travel to Huddersfield Giants, kick off 12 noon.”


One Energy
Halliwell Jones
My Protein oneills Total Steel University of Chester ResultingIt EPG Services
Wirehouse Boutique Hotel Group Warrigton Fabrications Muse Developments C4 Construction Sports 360 Our League