March 12th, 2016

Wolves Unbeaten in Five!

Full Time: Catalans Dragons 20 - Warrington Wolves 30

By Rachel Arnett

Warrington Wolves came from behind to claim a win over the Dragons in the South of France.

Carney was the first to get on the score    board finding a gap in the line to run over for the hosts. Rhys Evans responded with a try to level the scores after the video referee awarded the four pointer.

Richards took back the lead with a second try for the home side and it was his boot that also added the conversions and a penalty goal to take a 14-6 advantage. The Wolves had something to say about this though with Currie the next over the line to pull it back to 14-12 at the break.

The first half was eventful with Hill put on report for his big hit on former team mate Myler. And on 36 minutes Dodds was stretchered from the field of play having broken his tibia bone in his leg, taken to hospital to have his leg set.

The Dragons were the first to score in the second half too, Duport crossing in the corner. It was Evans once again who replied for his second. 20-18

Then with four minutes remaining until full time the Wolves put their foot on the gas with two quick tries to snatch the lead and claim the win. First was George King twisting over the line to ground the ball, the second – just as he did last week – a piece of Sandow magic saw him follow up the kick to the in-goal to score. Gidley’s boot on target took the final score to 20-30

Team News


Tony Gigot, Jodie Broughton, Krisnan Inu, Vincent Duport, Pat Richards, Todd Carney, Richie Myler, Dave Taylor, Eloi Pelissier, Willie Mason, Glenn Stewart, Justin Horo, Louis Anderson

Subs: Remi Casty, Jason Baitieri, Julian Bousquet, Thomas Bosc

Tries: Carney, Richards, Duport

Goals: Richards (4)


Matty Russell, Kevin Penny, Rhys Evans, Ryan Atkins, Tom Lineham, Kurt Gidley, Chris Sandow, Chris Hill, Brad Dwyer, Ashton Sims, Ben Currie, Jack Hughes, Joe Westerman

Subs: Stefan Ratchford, Mitchell Dodds, George King, Jordan Cox

Tries: R Evans (2), Currie, G King, Sandow

Goals: Gidley (5)

Injury: Mitch Dodds has broken his tibia bone in his leg. He’s gone to hospital to have his leg set.


Head of coaching and rugby Tony Smith in post match press conference.

First Half

On six minutes the Dragons came close, a kick from Carney to the corner was collected by Inu, offloaded to Broughton whose kick just couldn’t quite stay in play to the relief of the travelling Wire fans. The home side would be the first to score though just minutes later.

A knock on from the Dragons then set up an opportunity for the Wolves and Rhys Evans capitalised on that; awarded by the video referee.

Dwyer was next to come close, held up over the line. A knock on from an intercept attempt and for interference in the tackle set up the Wolves but they came away just short.

Penny showed great pace down the left edge but the rallying defensive tackle forced a knock-on. The Dragons then mirrored the play on the opposite edge, Richards taking a pass from his inside to score in the corner.

Richards then added a penalty goal after Wolves were pulled up for interference in the tackle.

On 30 minutes a successful piece of charge down play by Ratchford set up Currie to cross in the corner. The goal from Gidley pulled it back to 14-12. Evans came close again after some great handling between Hill and Hughes.

On 36 minutes play stopped after Dodds left the field after picking up an injury.

The Dragons kept attacking the line but the defence held firm 14-12 at half time.

Second Half

The second half started like the first. A Wolves knock-on after a big hit on Sandow opened up space for Duport to cross in the corner from the next set. 20-12

The game remained close from then on with both sides coming close from creating opportunities but the defensive efforts stood strong. Broughton got to within inches before Penny fired across to tackle him into touch on 53 minutes.

On 60 minutes Rhys Evans was over for his second of the evening. Penny was next to come close, just tackled into touch as he flew into the corner.

Then came the fightback. On 76 minutes King fought his way over twisting in the tackle to ground the ball. And a last minute kick was chased to perfection by Sandow to fly over on the hooter. Gidley added the final points. 20-30 to the delight of the travelling fans.

Halliwell Jones
My Protein oneills Total Steel University of Chester ResultingIt EPG Services
Wirehouse Boutique Hotel Group Warrigton Fabrications Muse Developments C4 Construction Sports 360 Our League