May 13th, 2018

12-try Wire book place in cup quarters

Full Time: Warrington Wolves 66 - Toronto Wolfpack 10

By Alan Domville (Images by swpix)

Warrington recorded their 10th win in succession to take them into the quarter finals of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup and a home tie against Wigan after a 12-try victory over Championship leaders Toronto.

They romped home comfortably in the second period after conceding two early tries to the Canadian side and edging to a narrow 12-10 interval lead.

Toronto were their own worst enemy as they spoiled their chances with some indiscipline that resulted in one red and three yellow cards.

At one point the visitors were down to 10 men as Warrington cut loose to inflict on them only their fourth defeat in their two year history – and by far their heaviest.

Warrington were unchanged from the team that performed so magnificently at Headingley last weekend.

Wolfpack, who have designs on Super League status next season, have several former Wire stars in their ranks. Gareth O’Brien was at full back, Ashton Sims at prop and Andy Ackers on the bench for this game.

Team News


Stefan Ratchford, Tom Lineham, Bryson Goodwin, Ryan Atkins, Josh Charnley, Kevin Brown, Tyrone Roberts, Chris Hill, Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Harvey Livett, Jack Hughes, Ben Westwood

Subs: Joe Philbin, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Declan Patton, Sitaleki Akauola

Tries: Cooper, Charnley (2), Livett, Murdoch-Masila (2), Hughes, Westwood, Lineham (3), Roberts

Goals: Goodwin (9)


Gareth O’Brien, Adam Higson, Chase Stanley, Gregory Worthington, Liam Kay, Josh McCrone, Ryan Brierley, Darcy Lussick, Bob Beswick, Ashton Sims, Andrew Dixon, Cory Paterson, Jacob Emmitt

Subs: Adam Sidlow, Jack Bussey, Andy Ackers, Sam Hopkins

Tries: Higson, Kay

Goals: Brierley

Sin Bin: Liam Kay (28mins)

Sending Off: Andrew Dixon (38mins)

Sin Bin: Josh McCrone (47mins)

Sin Bin: Darcy Lussick (53mins)

First Half

Stefan Ratchford kicked off towards the west stand, Sims collecting the ball on his own line and starting a set that took his side into Warrington territory and a scrum only 15 metres from the home line.

Their second set ended with a grubber from Bob Beswick that went dead and soon afterwards, following a penalty award, Greg Worthington sent out a huge pass to winger Adam Higson who yielded them their first points.

No goal from Ryan Brierley but another score was to follow after interference in a tackle on Liam Kay. The ball was swung quickly from left to right and it was Kay who touched down.

No conversion again but the Wolfpack were ahead 8-0.

Any fears that a shock result was in the offing were partly dispelled when a lovely offload by Ratchford to Harvey Livett enabled Wire to make good progress and Mike Cooper finished the move, shrugging off attention around his head to score by the upright.

Goodwin added the extras and Sims was replaced after exchanging words with the referee.

A fine drive by Joe Philbin set Wire up again but the offensive ended with an interception and a penalty to the visitors.

Gareth O’Brien kicked for the line and Higson raced over again but the referee ruled it out.

A dangerous tackle on Josh Charnley resulted in the first yellow card for Toronto, Kay being the offender.

Sitaleki Akauola entered the fray and Cory Paterson’s extra attention after a tackle on him earned another penalty for Wire.

A loose pass was snapped up by Kevin Brown who raced over unopposed but his effort was ruled out for obstruction by video referee James Child.

An infringement near the home line led to a penalty for Brierley who made it 10-6.

An off-the-ball incident involving Livett and Andrew Dixon earned the latter a red card for punching. In the subsequent Wire attack Charnley was able to register his first try in the corner.

Goodwin’s successful conversion from the touchline was the last action of the half. 12-10

Second Half

Straight from the restart Warrington were able to add to their score, some neat inter-passing over the length of the field leading to Livett racing over. Goodwin goaled and Wire were now in the ascendancy.

Another determined go-forward by Philbin set up another scoring opportunity and a goal line drop out was forced.

Philbin was also instrumental in creating the next Wire offensive and this time Ben Murdoch-Masila was the scorer, via Tyrone Roberts. Goodwin’s conversion making it 22-10.

Toronto’s tactics were earning the wrath of the crowd and captain Josh McCrone was next to leave the field, being given a yellow for arguing with the referee and reducing his side to 11 men.

Andy Ackers went close to the line but that was one of only two occasions the visitors would seriously trouble the Wire defence.

Warrington cut loose again and Daryl Clark sent Jack Hughes racing over, Goodwin’s goal making it 28-10.

Cue another yellow for Toronto, this time for Darcy Lussick also for speaking out of turn; it meant they temporarily had only 10 men on the field.

With plenty of space in which to move it was just a question of how many tries Wire would now add to their total though Ben Westwood, who was next to score, had to battle his way through the central defence to touch down. Goodwin again converting.

Taking a pass from Livett, Tom Lineham was next to score, diving over in the corner, Goodwin’s kick bringing up 40 points.

Toronto thereafter resorted to short restart kicks but to no avail and after conceding another penalty Hughes served Roberts who touched down.

Lineham then registered his second try after racing to touch down a kick from Goodwin and receiving approval from the video ref.

Lengthy on-field treatment was required by Higson before he left the action and Goodwin was able to convert from the touchline.

Charnley collected the next short kick-off, Atkins raced away and Declan Patton enabled Murdoch-Masila to touch down again. Goodwin’s goal made it 56-10.

And it was Charnley who would knock another nail in Toronto’s coffin, taking a pass from Goodwin and racing with ease behind the posts to give Goodwin his ninth successful kick.

Lineham then completed his hat-trick after taking a pass from Livett, the move having begun with a superb run from the back to half way by Ratchford.

One Energy
Halliwell Jones
My Protein ISC Matrix Network University of Chester Total Steel Peckforton Castle JD Sports
Vinci Construction IH Brown Warrigton Fabrications Muse Developments Protect My Income Our League